We had a busy summer with Zuzka. Almost every week we went out and spend some time with exploring the Canadian Rockies. As usually, we went for trips in any weather and we got a few pretty nasty days with snow, rain or storms. We really enjoyed this years hiking season with many nights spent in our tent. We had incredible wildlife encounters including black bears, Grizzlies, moose and other big guys. I cannot forget about the Grizzly bear who appeared couple of meters form us by Lake Minnewanka when we just had a snack. The moose at Bryant Creek who did not want to run away and we had to use the bell to scare him away.
Another remarkable activity of this summer was the rock climbing. I started to lead climb which I consider a great fit to all other outdoor activities I am already involved in. What I can say after starting to lead climbs of 5.5 in the spring and closing the season with 5.10b is, that lead climb vs. top rope is completely different thing. Rock climbing is a great sport and moves you to another level of using your body. More important, it is a great mental practice for critical situations, which can occur in other outdoor sports or even causal life.
It is December 23 today and it has been about 7 years since I crashed on skis and broke my knee. After this huge break I found strenght, confidence and commitment to stay safe on slopes and started to shred the mountain again. I have been up on mountain for about 12 times and it is a great feeling. Of course, I am very limited with what I can go for becasue of the knee problems, but I feel like I never had my 7 years break.
Hikes accomplished:
- Lake Louise spring ski touring, Banff
- Tunnel Mountain, Banff
- Johnston Canyon, Banff
- Simpson RIverm Suprise Shelter, Rocky Lake, Kootenay
- Upper Stoney Squaw Trail, Banff
- Bryant Creek Shelter ( Marvel pass, gloria lake, owl lake), Banff
- Consolidation Lakes and Moraine Lake, Banff
- Plain of 6 glaciers and 2 teahouses, LL, Banff
- Aylmer Lookout and Pass, Lake MOnewanka Area, Banff
- Twin Lakes, Banff
- Johnston Canyon to Norquay via Mystic Pass, Mystic Lake, Banff
- Sinclair Pass Loop, Kootenay
- Sunshine Meadows Lake Loop and down through Simpson Pass
- Yamnuska Mountain Loop, Kananskis
- Rockwall Loop Kootenay
- Skoki Valley Loop, Banff
- Half of the Skyline Trail, Jasper, Starting at Maligne Lake
- Minewanka Overnight, 1st camp, Banff
- Heart Mountain, Kananaskis
- Blackfeather Canyon (Lake Minewanka)
- Sulphur Mountain South Ridge
Bike:
- Minnewanka Loop
- Johnston Canyon
- Healy Creek
- Tunnel Mountain Hoodos
- Cascade Fireroad
- Banff Norquay Road and Lowe Stoney Squaw
- Bryant Creek Shelter
- Spray River Loop
- Lake Minnewanka Shorline Trail (to 1st campground)
Climbing:
- Tunnel Mountain 2 sides
- Canmore Grassy Lakes
- Lake Louise
- Sunshine Rock
Kayaking:
Please read previous post
Skiing:
Mt. Norquay, Banff
Lake Louise, Banff
Sunshine, Banff
Kickinghorse, BC
HIGHLIGHTS 2012 :
Killer Whales, Humpback Whales, Black Bear on Bow River eating when I was watching him from kayak for couple minutes, Grizzly encounter at Minnewanka, Rockwall trail in Kootenays - Alaska like, tasty berries; Skoki valley loop hiking, fishing on Bow River - caught two trouts, playboating on Kananaskis, Athabasca falls run and Kootenay River kayaking, climbing on Tunnel Mountain, skiing the Lake Louise Whitehorn 2 powder, rafting Kickinghorse, dogsledding on Spray Lakes, Mosquito on Mystic Pass trail, moose scared me in bush at Simpson River, sleeping in igloo in - 15, Mt. Assinboine from the lake after decent bushwack (Grizzly tracks everywhere), black bear jumped in the river and swam across in current in front of me(Kootenay)
Sunday, December 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment